Assistant General Counsel
Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc.
Assistant General Counsel
(JVR #: E79)
Assists the Legal & Administration and Corporate Secretary department in the areas of securities law, regulatory and corporate compliance, HR, Administration and other legal issues affecting an NYSE publicly traded company.
Legal and Regulatory Matters:
- Provides legal advice and services with respect to a wide range of areas affecting the Company, including general business law, regulatory matters, corporate governance, securities, finance, compensation and benefits, labor law, contracts and litigation.
- Provides legal support for financing activities, including drafting registration statements, board resolutions, etc.
- Participates as a legal adviser on designated committees and special projects.
- Provides such other services as requested by senior management and consistent with attorney’s abilities, education, and experience, including assistance with the department’s corporate secretary function.
- Assists with any M&A or other corporate transactions
Securities and other Regulatory Compliance:
- Ensures Company-wide securities law compliance, including compliance with SEC rules and regulations and NYSE listing standards, including compliance with Regulations FD and G; and manage the Company’s relationship with the SEC and NYSE.
- Ensures the Company’s compliance with FRB regulations and other applicable bank related rules and standards.
- Manages all stock-related matters, including stock-based compensation, matters relating to the DRIP, administration of the Company’s insider trading policy and Section 16 filings (e.g., Form 4 and 5).
- Assists in the drafting and review of all regulatory filings and disclosure documents (e.g., SEC 10-K/Qs, 8-Ks, Proxy Statement), registration statements and FRB disclosure filings.
HR and Administration:
- Assists with HR and Administration matters, including management of employee matters, benefit plans, compensation plans, facilities and budget matters.
- Legal Training/Programs:
- Develops and implements legal training and other educational programs for Company management and employees with respect to new laws, legal trends, relevant cases and policies and procedures pertinent to the Company.
- Outside legal services:
- Directs and manages work performed by outside attorneys, ensuring that cost effective, high caliber legal services are provided to the Company.
- Law degree, membership in the Hawaii State Bar Association and license to practice law in Hawaii (or licensed in another state and willing to obtain a Hawaii license within one year).
- Thorough knowledge in corporate and business law, with preferably strong familiarity in securities regulation and some familiarity in finance and in corporate governance.
- General knowledge in other areas of the law such as contracts, employment, environmental, litigation, employee benefits, regulatory, administrative and real property.
- Ability to understand accounting principles and to read financial statements desired, but not required.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to make mature, experienced business judgments in legal services provided – i.e., maintain a business perspective with an understanding of the drivers of the business operations.
- Ability to communicate clearly, persuasively, logically and succinctly (both verbally and in writing).
- In depth analytical, organizational and conceptual skills to handle various projects and programs.
- Ability to identify, analyze and research legal issues affecting the Company, and make recommendations to address the problem.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible in a demanding work environment, handle multiple matters concurrently, remain calm/focused in stressful situations, and adapt to rapidly changing priorities.
- Computer literate, including MS Suite.
- Multiple (5-7) years of relevant legal experience preferred.
- Minimum 4 years of advising public companies on corporate and securities matters preferred. (In-house or law firm)
To apply for this job or to explore other employment opportunities, please visit us at:
www.hawaiianelectric.com/careers and login to your iRecruitment account
or call our employment hotline at: (808) 543-4611.
Hawaiian Electric Company is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. We actively seek diversity among our employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender/sex, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, arrest and court record, sexual orientation, veteran status, or other protected categories in accordance with state and federal laws.